Friday, December 10, 2010

"Unfair" train has not left the station

Since I was on the “unfair” train yesterday I thought I’d carry it over another day…this time it’s about a friend, well I guess now she is more of an acquaintance.  Back, shortly after I graduated from college, I went out on a quasi-date with one of her brother’s friends.  It wasn’t a huge deal and I wasn’t that into him so when they had a one night stand shortly after this quasi-date it didn’t bother me.  But when she got pregnant and had an abortion that bothered me.  I don’t believe in abortion.  As much as I want to, I won’t get on my soap box and will just leave it as, I don’t’ believe in abortion.  I never really talked to her about her options – she was pretty set from the get go to have an abortion.  I know now I should have tried but at the time I just didn’t feel right (and I knew I wouldn’t be able to listen to her subjectively).  I should have told her I thought her choice was selfish…if she didn’t love the father and didn’t want to be a single mother then at least carry the baby to term and give him or her up for adoption.  Think about someone other than herself and what an inconvenience she felt this baby would be. I was truly angry with her and disgusted by her lack of morals.  As time went on I found it easier and easier to dismiss my anger and disgust and push her abortion out of my mind.  Then she got married (to a man who I think had got a girl pregnant once and she had an abortion too) and she went baby crazy.  They had some troubles getting pregnant and she had a miscarriage.  Eventually she had a baby.  And you want to know what, the whole time they were suffering with infertility a little part of me couldn’t help but think “well, if you wouldn’t have so easily discarded your first child’s life maybe you wouldn’t have such a hard time”   I know they struggled and it wasn’t easy for them but I can’t help but think how unfair it is that someone who could so easily kill an innocent child can now be blessed with a child.  I should really look at it from a more Christian way – in that our God is so great that he is willing to forgive them for their horrendous sins and bless them with a child. 
Gosh, this post makes me seem like I think I am saint and have never done anything wrong…I hope you know that I know I have not lead the life of a saint and have committed my fair share of sins.    

No comments:

Post a Comment