Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What did I get myself into?

I have a slight addiction to Caribou Coffee and Facebook (well ok, slight might be too meek of a word to describe my Facebook addiction…complete might be a better choice).   So, I figured for Lent this year I would give up both…yes, BOTH of my vices!  Gasp!  What was I thinking!  In the past I’ve done chocolate milk (before WW I would have at least a glass a day) or pop or ice cream but I wanted to mix it up this year and try something that I knew would be hard for me.  I just had no idea what I was in for!
The Caribou Coffee hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would be.  Especially considering I have one on campus and connected to my office by skywalk.  I really thought it’d be hard to go without my 10 am Berry Milk Mocha made with skim milk, sugar free syrup, no whip nor chocolate covered coffee beans, but it’s really not.  Unless of course I am in a meeting with someone and they come strolling in, sipping coffee from a Caribou cup.  Or I run into a coworker on their way to get their daily fix!
Facebook, well that’s been extremely hard!  Before this week I never realized the extent to which I was on it.  I am going through serious withdrawal.  (I can’t believe I am admitting that! It’s JUST Facebook, right!!!))  I cannot even begin to count the number of times I have absent-mindedly typed it into the browser.  Thankfully I realize what I am doing before actually logging in!  I feel completely disconnected with my friends and family.  I feel out of "the know" or "the loop".  I miss wishing people a happy birthday or what not on their pages.  And to make matters worse my good friend/like a sister/cousin who thinks she’s so funny and texts me that she just sent me a message on Facebook but that she just realized I can’t read it until Sunday and when I ask her what it said she tells me I have to wait.  Until Sunday.  Three days from now.  I am sure it is some adorable picture of my niece and nephew or something cute one of them said and having to wait is killing me!  Killing me!
I have decided though to use each time I go to the page or think about logging on as an opportunity to pray.  My prayer quota is going to triple or more likely quadruple between now and Easter!  (But that’s a good thing!) 

1 comment: