Wednesday, July 20, 2011

MIL back in the hospital

It's been a long couple of days.  Monday at the end of the day Walleye emailed me that his Dad just called and his Mom was back in the hospital with some sort of infection.  I immediately thought it was the aspirational pneumonia, which would be a very bad thing.  Thankfully it wasn't.  It still wasn't good but at least it wasn't that! 

Turns out she had a sore between her butt cheek and top of her thigh since she left the hospital last time and it wasn't getting any better even though she was on antibiotics.  Last Friday they took her in to her normal Dr who prescribed two different, stronger antibiotics and between Friday night and Monday morning the sore had more than tripled in size.  My FIL called her Dr who told him to take her right to the ER so she was sure to be seen right away. 

After 4 hours in the ER and numerous attempts to try to drain the sore they admitted her to the hospital.  The hospitalist recommended a surgeon look at it, which was our last option and scary one as she doesn't tolerate surgery very well with all her other problems.  The surgeon came about 7 pm and said he thought they should do surgery that night yet.  With the fact that the sore had tripled so quickly since Friday he didn't feel comfortable leaving it any longer than absolutely necessary. 

While they scheduled surgery Walleye, my FIL and I ran to quick grab a bite to eat, got back to the hospital about 9 and they took her down to surgery at 10 pm.  At 12:30 we were finally able to see her again and were so relieved that she was smiling and talking with the recovery nurse (who she had worked with at that same hospital 30 years ago!). 

The surgeon said all went well but that recovery will be hard for her as she has no fat or anything left in that area so the incision is resting pretty much right on bone.  They need to drain it at least three times but they only do that Monday, Wednesday and Fridays so we aren't sure how long she will be in the hospital. 

But I am thankful it wasn't as serious as I first anticipated and that she did so good.  She was in pretty good spirits last night when we went to visit her. 

Oh and that Dr said that the sore could very well have been the reason she has been so mean and orinary since she got out of the hospital.  Even though she couldn't feel it her body was still telling her brain there was something wrong creating the irritableness. 

I started PIO shots on Monday.  Poor Walleye has to give them to me every day becasue I just don't think I could do it myself.  He's been good.  yesterday though it really hurt and I had tears streaming down my face - I felt horrible as it made Walleye feel bad but I think it was the needle because I looked at it after and it looked different than the other one he used on Monday.  So far my butt cheeks haven't been too bad - a little tender at times and every so often I can feel it but it's so much better than I thought it would be.  And it is so nice not to have to do the suppositories and work around having to lay down for at least an hour every time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment