Monday, July 23, 2012

Duckie update

My big brother, Duckie, was diagnosed with Stage IV Melanoma (skin cancer) in the spring of 2011.  He underwent various treatments (lymph node removal, immunotherapy, shots three times a week for the past year, etc).  Well he had his last shot the Friday after the 4th.  We were all thrilled, none more so that Duckie.  And we were thanking God that Duckie's year of shots and tiredness and other unpleasant side effects was over. 

Then last week I get an email from my parents saying that Duckie had had a seizure at work (complete with foaming at the mouth) and so an ambulance had taken him to the ER and he was given an MRI and scheduled for the PET scan for later in the week.  They would see the Dr on Monday (today) to review the MRI and PET scans and form a plan of action.  They did know he had a tumor on his brain and that they would start radiation on Monday but that brain surgery might be a possibility.  Friday after his PET scan they made a mask for his radiation.  He and his dog were staying with them for the time being as the Dr said he shouldn't be along for a while in case of other seizures.  They said Duckie was upbeat but not really ready to talk about it all yet and would call us (my sister and I) after the Dr appt on Monday. 

It was a long few days of waiting - way longer I am sure for Duckie.  I talked to him yesterday and he was extremely upbeat and positive.  Ready to start the radiation and see what the Dr had to say today.

I was so positive after hearing him and his positivity.  I thought for sure he wouldn't have to go through more than just a few weeks of radiation.  That he would be spared brain surgery.  Then his email came in this morning.

Not good.

The treatments didn't work.  The cancer has spread throughout his body.  Not just to his brain. 

He will still do two weeks radiation to the spots on his brain but for the rest of his body will most likely try a newer pill, Zel.boraf, which has good success at holding the cancer back.  But it is not a cure.

He will go to the Ma.yo for a second opinion in a few weeks.  He was treated at the Ma.yo the first time he had cancer (non-Hodg.kins Lym.phoma) 20 some years ago.

I don't even know what to think.  I can't seem to stop crying.  I can't help but think how unfair this is.  Not that I want anyone else to have cancer but why him?  Why a second time in his life?  Why did it have to spread?  Why did he have to go through the past year of shots and all that went along with it to only have it not work? 

This just isn't fair. This sucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment